Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Language Blunders

Before you go on exchange you hear endless stories of funny and embarrassing moments that happen while you're trying to communicate in a foreign language. It's an inevitable part of your experience during your year abroad. 
My first gaffe of the year happened today while I was simultaneously chatting with a classmate and working on a project for danish class. Here's how the conversation played out.

Classmate: "Har du spist bjørn før?"

Me: "Ja. Jeg har spist børn før!"

*Eruption of laughter from the people in hearing range*

My classmate asked me if I had ever eaten bear before (another story) and I replied, "Yes, I've eaten children before!" Whoops...

I was then stuck trying to convey (in Danish) that I was, in fact,  not a cannibal. Hopefully they understood my explanation!




No comments:

Post a Comment