Sunday, April 7, 2013

Reunion Lyonnais

There's nothing better than seeing your family again after two years apart. Less than a week after my return from a fantastic trip to Sweden, I hopped on another plane to my second home in France. It was a long day of traveling, but the felicity of reuniting with my French family was completely worth the nine-hour layover in Frankfurt.

For those of you who don't know, two years ago I participated on a three month reciprocal exchange to Lyon, France. I had a French girl named Laura come and live with me for three months in Canada and then I went and stayed with her and her family for three months. Laura became one of my best friends and needless to say her family truly became my family.

It was a busy, but great week, with trips to Lyon, a medieval castle, Geneva and also reconnecting with old friends from school.

Naturally we spent quite a bit of our time in Lyon. It's fifteen minutes away and full of things to do and places to see. Visiting a city I'd come to know quite well for a second time was also an interesting experience.



Laura and I in a traboule.


Vieux Lyon with the Salesses. 


Up on the ferris wheel in Place Bellecour, with a great view of the city. 

The next part of my trip was spent exploring some of the surrounding areas. We decided to visit a medieval castle, but not before eating a flavourful lunch of frogs legs... ribbit! 


Frogs legs. You must be patient and industrious to eat this delectable French specialty. 


Laura showing us the castle from afar. 


Laura and I in the courtyard of one of France's many castles. 


My week long French vacation was not solely in France. Linda (host mom), Laura and I took an overnight trip to the Geneva to visit Elsa (another host sister) who's living and working there. I had previously been to Geneva, but only for a fifteen minute pit stop, so I wast excited for the chance to really get to see this beautiful city nestled on the edge of "Lac Léman".


Our first day in Geneva started off with a tour of the UN headquarters. For me this was the highlight of my entire trip. Upon clearing security and entering the building, you can immediately sense the international atmosphere-all of the employees at the front desk spoke multiple languages. Furthermore on the guided tour--which we took in French, our tour guide's fourth language-- you get to see a handful of diplomats from all over the world just doing their jobs. It was an engrossing hour to say the least.

Laura & I infront of the UN headquarters in Geneva.

Oh Canada...

The UN Headquarters in Geneva. 


The rest of the day was spent walking around Geneva in the beautiful sunny weather.

You know you're in Switzerland when...

Linda showing us the route.

Geneva. 

Laura & Linda in Geneva.

Kind of hard to tell where  I am, isn't it?

The view from Elsa's apartment. 


The following day we walked around the neighbourhood of Carouge and made a pit stop in Yvoire, France for some lunch, before heading back to Lyon.


Carouge.

Yvoire.


It was an absolutely fantastic trip. I had a ball! The only downside was that it was over all too quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment