Sunday, October 28, 2012

Ginormous Dining Tables & Danish Hygge

The minute you walk into a Dane's home (assuming you see the dining room) there's a good chance that you'll immediately be taken aback by the size of their dining room table. I have to admit, when I first laid eyes upon my host family's dining table I was confounded. I knew they had a larger family (three kids and two parents), but this table could comfortably accommodate the whole family (everyone!) for Thanksgiving dinner at Grandma's. A Danish household consisting of only three or four family members will most likely have a dining table thrice, or twice as big as what people in North America are used to.

Why do Danes have such colossal tables? While this may seem like an exceptionally awkward question to ask (especially when you're doing it in Danish) and an even more complicated question to answer, one must, at most, be moderately observant to uncover the explanation. Is it because they are vikings and consequently need viking-sized tables? No, well maybe. The (primary) motive, my friends, behind the Danes' sizeable tables is to assist the Danes' constant and vital need to socialize.

If you've ever lived with Danes, or are one yourself, you'll understand me when I say that Danes love to socialize. In fact, the verb 'to love' does no justice to just how crucial socialization is to the Danes' everyday life. There aren't many weekends when the gargantuan dining table isn't surrounded by friends and family catching up on the week's events, while enjoying delicious food in a cozy atmosphere. Low hanging soft lights, a thousand glowing candles, music, delicious food and ample time for socialization unite to create your standard Danish weekend evening (and a completely hyggeligt atmosphere!).

"Hygge" is one aspect of Danish culture that I will, without question, bring back to Canada. The danish word "hygge" and all of its variations have no direct translation to English, but the word is often related to coziness, socialization, comfort and happiness. To truly discover and grasp its meaning, you have to experience it. Eight months from now I can promise you that I'll be teaching my canadian friends and family how to "hygge". Who knows, maybe it will start a trend. "Hygge" and exceedingly large dining tables could become the next cross-fit, or cake-pops.  I can see it now "Former Canadian Exchange Student Changing Canada One Dining Room Table at a Time."

Until then,

Cathryn


No comments:

Post a Comment